Thursday, March 24, 2011

Playroom Part 1

It is so nice having a spot to contain most of the toys.  Some still make it to bedrooms but I really try to keep MOST toys down in the playroom. 
When we moved in we didn't do much to this room.  We painted the ceiling and the trim but I wasn't sure what to do with the walls.  For one I didn't know what we would be using it for at that moment.

We decided it would make a great playroom.  It's at the bottom of the stairs so you can still hear whats going on.  Plus they don't feel too far away. 
 How could we not have a playroom!  This has been the best thing ever!

The problem to me is that it looks too boyish.  There is a nice sports themed border in there now that I plan to take off.  I would love this room to be gender neutral and have a fun whimsical feel.
I think I want turquoise walls with orange, pink, and green accents.  That's the plan for the moment anyway.

For the first step of taking off the wall paper I am using a trick from my Aunt Gayle. 

1.  Mix Fabric softener and warm water in a container. 
I used the cheap stuff from the dollar store.  It had a good smell that made the basement smell good for days! 
2.  Soak a thin wash cloth in the mixture.
3.  Press it onto the wall paper for a minute.  Longer if you have more patience.
4.  Rip off.  I used a large putty knife to get the edge off and then pulled.  That way I didn't ruin any fingernails.   Not that mine are pretty to begin with. :)

It works really well.  Especially if you can get the print part of the wall paper to come off first.  The mixture soaks right into the other layers allowing you to remove big sections at a time.
I usually worked in two areas at a time.  I would get one wet and while it soaked I would rip off a different area.  This really moved quick for me.  Yeah!

Wall paper is ALL off.  It always takes longer than I think.  Not because the project itself is hard.  But because I have to balance being a mommy and wife too.
Now I just need to make a decision for a fun paint color.
Do you have any colors that you LOVE?

joined The Stories of A to Z tip and tutorial party

7 comments:

{Kaitlyn} said...

Sounds like a fun project! I think that a turquoise wall is perfect for boys and girls. Cant wait to see how it all turns out!

Jocelyn said...

Green shades are supposed to be calming! I think your color choices are wonderful! The playroom is the perfect place to go bold and fun!!! Post pics when it's done!

Gayle said...

WooHoo! I feel famous for getting a mention on your blog! LOL So glad that the wallpaper border came off pretty easily for you. Can't wait to see what you do in there!

Heather Truckenmiller said...

We're just getting ready to rip down wallpaper in my daughters room. I'll keep this in mind! In some of these rooms, it's been impossible to remove the wallpaper, it's been up for 50 years and it was put on with something that makes it STICK. I painted over some of it, and it didn't even bubble when the paint was wet even!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Removing wallpaper is such a nightmare! Great tips on how to get it done!

Shawn said...

I have two ugly borders that need to come down, so I am going to try your little trick. I want to come see the final result!

Kate said...

This worked so great! I used it in the kitchen of our 1970s mobile rental through 4 layers of wallpaper! I'll reference this site in my blog post about it tomorrow at www.growwildmychild.com Thanks for the inspiration!